Thursday, July 2, 2015

Gray Gay Areas?

The current discourse about gay marriage is conjuring up some old issues. How we are permitted to express our moralistic views in this country, for one. If, as a baker, I feel it’s morally wrong to be gay, can I refuse to bake a lesbian wedding cake? What if I don’t like the notion of a black person marrying a white? Can I refuse to put little black and white candy people on top of that cake? If I own a printing business, can I say no to briss invitations? Can I open a sushi restaurant and refuse service to anyone except Buddhists?  As a business owner, in other words, can I be forced to do business with anyone who walks in the door - or can I demand to know their moralistic and religious beliefs first, and based on that, decide whether I am comfortable serving them or not?  And if I do business with only those I approve of, should I be prosecuted and fined?  Unfortunately, these absurd questions are not going away.

No comments:

Post a Comment