Tuesday, December 14, 2010

OK I admit it - it's COLD

Record-breaking chill is in the air here in sunny Fort Lauderdale, and on the one day I really need it, my car heater is broken.  I'm headed to Pompano Beach to edit this morning, a distance of about 27 miles - and it's in the mid-thirties.  I'm going to put on fleece pants and a sweatshirt I bought in Yachats, Oregon last year.  One of the coolest towns you'll ever visit - a cute little coastal town with awesome black-rock beaches, teeming tide-pools and towering cliffs.  If you're lucky you'll see some sea lions.  I visited a local attraction where hundreds of them hang out in dramatic sea caves.  You take a scary elevator down about 5 floors and watch them brave the crashing waves, climbing up onto cave rocks to hang out.  I also took a looong hike into the cool coastal forest, up and down steep hills.  I didn't see another soul along this six mile trail.  At the end was a GIGANTIC redwood, more than 200 years old and about ten feet across.  I sat there looking at it, and listening to the wind in the trees, for at least half an hour.  That night I ate the most delicious fresh salmon I've ever eaten, at the town's one decent restaurant.  It was so busy I ate at the bar, striking up a conversation with the locals.  The bartender was making up fresh blackberry daquiris (they were in season locally - so juicy and delicious - right off the vine) and he must've felt a little sorry for me because he'd give me the remainders of the frozen drinks after he filled the glasses of paying customers.  It's hard to say how many I drank, since they were served a half-glass or so at a time.  But I had quite a buzz on, when I left!  My hotel was right on the beach, with a big porch overlooking the ocean.  Oh yeah, we shot a nice show there too, with Jaye and Susan of Petstar.  They have a gorgeous organic garden at their house overlooking a river, and the cutest, most amazingly well trained dogs I've ever seen.  They feed them organic home-made food, and have written a cookbook for doggies.  Their business is making dress-up collars called "shag-a-loo" and other fun toys and pet accessories.  Check them out at www.articoproducts.com.  Well, time to put on the Snuggie and hit the road.  More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment