Thursday, June 16, 2016

Gunshots too close to home

Those of us who have not been shot by a terrorist cannot understand what it feels like to face such madness. Those of us who have not seen another person killed by a terrorist cannot understand what that feels like to experience such senseless death and loss. But if our country continues on this path to gun mania, we will all experience gun death in our lives.
Tonight I was eating a salad and watching TV when four gunshots rang out very close by my door, sounding like small bomb explosions. I’m sure I’ll see this on the news tomorrow, someone else gunned down in South Florida, just another statistic. I live in what most people would call a safe, gated community but no one is safe when every nut job can get hold of a gun for any reason, without a background check, even if they are on a terrorist watch list.
Please don’t tell me that guns are only for self protection, because statistics are simply not on your side. No individual has ever stopped a mass shooting with a gun. Almost all gun deaths in this country are due to suicide, gang violence, domestic disputes and terrorism. Yes we need to “defend ourselves” but we don’t need assault rifles for that purpose. 
The second amendment should stay intact but like all of our constitutional laws, it must be refined over time. Next time you are nearby a shootout, give me a call and tell me if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment